March 12, 2019
March is National Nutrition Month
Eating healthy is important for everyone. Here are some general tips for adults and children.
- Establish a meal pattern of three same-size meals to help stabilize your appetite and prevent overeating.
- Include a variety of foods and food groups at each meal.
- Rethink your portions and learn appropriate serving sizes. The size of a deck of cards, one handful or one-half cup of cooked food is often one serving.
- Teach children to be aware of their hunger and to stop eating when they first feel full. Create awareness by banning electronics while eating and having a designated table for meals.
- Encourage kids to eat a variety of foods by repeating simple messages at meals and snacks. For instance, low-fat milk helps your teeth and bones. Fruit has vitamin C that can help your cold get better faster.
- Provide healthy snacks to curb hunger between meals but not feel full, and remind children that their bodies need fewer snacks as they grow.